Wednesday, August 4, 2010

“What your brain doesn’t know, but will tell you anyway”

Awhile back, Jean Horst wrote an article “The Glaringly Obvious… or What Your Brain Knows But Won’t Tell You”. I thought it was great. It talked of the amazing capabilities of the human brain. I would like to bring into the discussion some other capabilities of the human brain that are amazing, but are not so benign. It lies.
In my life I’ve found out that the biggest liar I know is me. How does that happen? I mean well, but I’m always trying to think ahead. How does one think ahead? Well, if you’ve got a brain and most of us do, we use it to think. Think up schemes; think about tomorrow’s weather, or where the stock market will be sometime in the future. Then we start to worry. Will our picnic plans be ruined, will our 401K become a 201K again. Where do these ideas come from? The brain of course. And the problem is that the brain lies. It doesn’t mean to lie, but it can’t help itself. I ask it a question and it tries to answer, but bottom line as much as it tries, it can’t predict the future
How many times have you worried about something; taking a test, meeting new people, paying the mortgage? Plenty, right? How many times did worrying help the out come of your distress? I would venture that it never helped and caused a great deal of aggravation before the subject of the worry came to pass. And when it finally did come to pass, the event wasn’t nearly as bad as you thought it would be. Keep remembering, your brain doesn’t have clue about the future. It doesn’t even know if you’ll be here tomorrow. So the old WWI song was exactly right;
“What’s the use of worrying,
It never was worthwhile,
So pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and
Smile, smile, smile”

Yeah, you can do it! I did. I stopped worrying a long time ago.
Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment